| Mile 11 of being paced. (I never realized how good I look in this picture until I saw the guy in the right background covered in sweat. Also, note my Oiselle distance shorts.) |
But now, he is helping train my husband for his first full marathon. I'm already getting left in the mileage dust as they press farther and faster than I can hang. I could probably keep their pace and mileage right now, if I hadn't taken time off for my calf injury. But if I hadn't taken that time off I wouldn't be healthy enough to be running at all right now. I'm feeling a little runner lonely.
I have run with a few girls here and there while living here. I ran Esprit de She Cary with Ansley. I have done some training runs with Elizabeth, but she is finishing up her PhD in England so I only get to run with her when she is back for visits. **Sidenote** Elizabeth is the daughter of the man who trained and paced me for my first half marathon. And I ran the Special Olympics Torch Run with Brenda and Sharon.
I miss my girlfriends in Pensacola. I miss Tina, Dawn, Regina, and Emily. I miss the Phat Girlz run group. I miss knowing that every Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday morning there would always be someone to run with it. I'm realizing now how much I took the girlz for granted.
![]() |
| With two of my dear runner friends, Tina and Dawn. (See my Oiselle Bum Wrap?) |
I guess I need to take the initiative and seek out other women. I have discussed some possibilities of making my own run group with my husband. He is all for it, I just need to seek out some avenues to really get it going. I had some other options in mind but they have fallen through. I would love to create a women's group that meets for a quick Bible Study (like five minutes) and then goes out and runs. How fun would that be?
Some of my struggles might also come from my lack of real races lined up. I haven't had a race since June. And after that race was when I took my seven week injury break. Here is my set (registered) race plan for the rest of the year.
I had plans to run the Richmond 8k that happens the same day as the Richmond Half and Full but I have conflict with a church function the same day. But I am truly looking forward to these next three races because they will be my first as part of the Oiselle family.
Ok, I already feel better after getting this out of my head into writing. I missed my morning run this morning due to a sweet small redhead calling my name. But I will set out some time today and get my run in.
Any suggestions for me about getting out of my lonely slump are welcome.
God Bless.


I can really relate! I don't live in a small town but I moved to Houston in may 2012 to be with my husband and then 6 months later we were relocated to Austin. I had just started meeting people with similar health interests as me and then we moved! I travel half the month for work so meeting people as been really hard. My husband lifts with me but HATES running and my running friend here is a marathoner (I'm more of a 5k to half marathon runner) and its tough. I wish I had good advice but I'm going to take your advice to put the initiative on myself to get out there and find the fitness freaks! Thanks for the great (and relatable post!)
ReplyDeleteJulia (fellow KindRunner ambassador)
FatCityFit.com
Our male runner friends sound so similar. Mine prefers the long distances too. I love halves but I only want to do two max a year. 10ks are my fave.
DeleteI'm so glad I am not the only one that is having these issues though! I hope that you find some runner friends soon. Too bad I don't know anyone in Austin, I have family in Dallas.
I also can relate!! My cousin created my love of running, but then backed off of her training after having a baby. Then I had absolutely no one to run with in my super-small town!! My solution was to introduce some of my closer friends and family to running, and fortunately they have grown to love it as much as I do! Although I don't have a large network of running friends, my best friend and my little brother are almost always up for a run with me. My cousin is back into running now, too, and my boyfriend enjoys short distances for exercise, so I always have plenty of options. Try introducing running to some of your friends and family members-- they may grow to love it as much as you do!
ReplyDeleteUnfortunately the only family I have here is my mother (who is a walker), my husband and my almost five year old daughter. We moved here for my husband's job. I have tried and tried to get my friends here to run with me but they all have different schedules. I keep at it though. I'm glad you can relate though. Thanks for the advice!
DeleteI've been running alone almost all the time, but have found a lot of runners through the local running club, our local running store, and meetup groups. I just don't have time to do the group runs with them - I need to run from my front door at a time convenient to me because of my crazy schedule! What you need to do is get someone into running who lives near you and create a running buddy! If only it were that easy...
ReplyDelete