Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Running and Reading Long Week 5 and National Running Day

So I'd like to start off by saying Happy National Running Day. I celebrated today but doing a mile time trial. I hadn't done one in over a year. So I did. And I ran it in 7:55, which makes that my post baby (I have a 3 yr old) PR and just five second shy of my all time college PR. YAY me! I hope you celebrated today too.


My other runs this week have been plagued with hot weather and bad leg cramps but I have pushed on. I have upped my Nuun in take and added more fruit to try and get more vitamins. And I added some Insanity workouts this week with my husband. If running doesn't make you feel out of shape, try Insanity it sure can!


For my running and reading long group we started reading Cami Ostman's Second Wind. According to my Kindle I am only 32% into this book so I can't give you an overall judgment yet but I can tell you how I feel about it so far. And so far it's not one of my favorite reads.


I do like how Cami using running as a healing time. It's her time to forget about everything and focus on her. I can say in a lot of ways that is how my runs are except that I try not to focus on myself. I try, even when I am with a friend, to spend part of the time of my run in prayer. I feel like I can focus on God and let of my mind best during a run. It doesn't always work so well when I am hurting on a run but I try. God is important to me even when my life sucks, as are my runs but they come after my family where God comes first. And I didn't really see this until I read Cami's book.


I have to say it really bothers me how Cami walked about from God, her husband, and her life. To me it's seemed selfish and wrong, but that's just my opinion and I have not walked in her shoes. I am Christian and proud to say it. I was raised by a God fearing mom. I watched a broken relationship all throughout my parents marriage and yet neither of them walked away from each other. I think if anything Cami's life made me more appreciative of the foundation I have built in Christ. And knowing that no matter what, even if my family falls apart, I will and do always have him.


God Bless.

3 comments:

  1. I love your perspective - I think everyone has a different relationship with religion that is different than a relationship with God and it has to do with the foundation. Congrats on your mile time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you've enjoyed the book so much. It's interesting to see another person's perspective on Cami's life story. I definitely connected more with her big goal of completing a marathon on each continent, and not as much about her relationship (or lack of) with God. I'll be the first to admit that I am not really affiliated with any religion, but definitely feel a connection to something bigger than us. I think I feel it more when I'm in the middle of a lake than on a run, but I think that's because when I'm paddling I tend to be so removed from human creations (ie traffic, cell phones) that the connection is there more at those times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice job on the mile time trial, Speedy! That's awesome! While I've had a different reaction to the book, I appreciate your perspective. I love this about reading - everyone can get something different from the same book! There is such freedom in this and discussing books always opens my eyes to something I have missed.

    ReplyDelete