Thursday, June 21, 2012

Running & Reading Long Week 7

This week I'm going to start my Running and Reading Long post by talking about my training. I am supposed to be following the half marathon training program. But unfortunately due to the traveling we have been doing with my husband's upcoming job change some of those runs just haven't happened. I haven't been getting in the long runs like I wanted but I'm still getting in lots of miles. To supplement my training I have increased the miles on the days that I can run. For instance today, I was supposed to run 30 mins instead I ran for 51 mins which equaled out to five miles. So far I think the hardest part of the training is that I can't totally stick to the plan. I am such a planner that it's hard for me to deviate from something once it has been planned. But oh well, such is life.


I am excited to say that I have now officially registered for my goal race. It's on November 10th. So I can start the training plan over in about mid August and then hit my goal race. Which makes me feel so much better about not hitting all the runs like I should right now.


And now on to the book. We started reading Dean Karnazes' Ultra Marathon Man this week. Ok wait, we were supposed to start it. And I did, but I also finished it. It's such a good read. I just couldn't put it down. I kept wanting to know what he was going to accomplish next. Before I started reading this book all I knew about Dean Karnazes was that he was a marathoner. I didn't realize he was an Ultra marathoner. He has such a cool story about the places and races he has ran.


I would recommend this book to runner and non-runners alike. It's a very inspirational book. He isn't saying that just anyone can do it but he does prove that everything takes effort and with that effort you can accomplish goals. Big thumbs up for Dean Karnazes!


Have a great rest of the week.


God Bless.

3 comments:

  1. Yay for a goal race! What distance is it?

    I love the book, too, and agree it's perfect for both runners and non-runners.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had a hard time sticking to my plan too--too many things getting in the way! Way to go for signing up for your race! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you like it and you've locked down your race plan! So much about training is about being flexible, and it sounds like you are doing that! Glad you enjoyed the book!

    ReplyDelete