Saturday, August 11, 2012

My longest long run.

Today I jumped a huge running hurdle today. And I know hurdles, I once was a hurdler in both high school and college. But today, I made it through a run over 10+ miles, 11 to be exact. Before today my longest run was a 10 mile trail race. Now I can say that I have run an 11 mile training running. I'm prepping for a half marathon this November but I currently have the option to train with some friend who are working on full marathon training. But soon I will be departing my friends here in FL and moving to VA where my training will continue alone so I am soaking up all the running buddy time I can.

I started my morning with a Vanilla Accel Gel. I can't run with real food in my stomach so I opted for a gel instead. I have come to find that I really like Accel Gel, it sits well in my stomach. Then we set off on our run which we thought might get a little hairy due to lightening but the storm stayed a few miles away at all times. Around 45 mins in we were blessed with a sudden downpour that killed the humidity and cooled us off. Mile 5-6 presented us with a huge hill that meant when I got to the top I needed refueling. I opened another Accel Gel but this time it was Raspberry Cream. I was surprised by the flavor, it was not as tangy as I thought it would be. It was good. I don't think it beats out my favorite flavor of Key Lime but it's a close second.

Continuing the run meant 5 more miles after my gel. And I felt really good about it. I was totally surprised at how great I felt. In the end I was tired, I mean I should be I just ran 11 miles, but I wasn't absolutely drained. I was also excited to see that I had ran it a whole lot faster than I had planned. I ran in 1hr 50mins. That totally keeps me on track to run my half marathon in under 2hrs 30mins.

After the run we refueled with chocolate milk. Whoever did that study, bless you! I love chocolate milk after my runs, I just don't always remember today. Well today at the end of our run we ran across the street to the 7/11 and pick up some. What a great recovery drink that tastes yummy and is cheap.

I feel very blessed today to have the ability to run. I thank God that He has given me the endurance and courage to set out and meet my running goals. I'm also blessed to have a husband who supports me and has no problem making breakfast for our daughter while I am out on a long run. I'm a blessed woman and wife. 

God Bless.

4 comments: