Monday, August 12, 2013

Six long weeks

Thursday of last week marked six weeks since my last run (and also since I fell down my stairs and cracked a rib). As you may have read before I pulled something in my calf during my last half marathon in April. I took two short weeks off after the race and then got back at it, but I wasn't pain free. I wouldn't say that I was in a great deal of pain but achy. Achy is not good though.

After hobbling through Esprit de She in Cary NC (due to my calf and my back) I made myself take some time off. My running partner here in VA who coaches me and paced me through my half marathon told me to take six whole weeks off. He said to stretch and do some strength training but that was it. Then after six weeks to ease back in. I complied by stretching, doing some strength training exercises at home, using my trigger point kit and foam rolling. I had every intention of running this weekend but it didn't happen. My husband is a Priest and we are in the process of combining two small churches into one new church. This weekend we closed one of the churches, a very historic old church. It was a somber weekend so I wasn't too sad when I was too busy to fit a run in. And last night I went to bed with my dang calf aching! It hasn't ached in over two weeks. Maybe I spent too much time on my feet yesterday at church, but geez. 

Six weeks of not running has been really hard for me mentally. I'm not upset about being injured, I'm upset that I can't run and it just doesn't make me feel good about myself. So I had every intention of getting up and running a very short and very slow run this morning. My body must have needed the extra rest because at some point this morning I turned off my alarm. I saw my Oiselle running clothes (origami tank and distance shorts) still neatly folded in the corner while I got dressed for work. Side note: I totally planned my all Oiselle outfit. I wanted my first run back to be all Oiselle run since I am now an Oiselle athlete :) Since I didn't get my run in this morning I will sport my awesome Oiselle outfit and hit the elliptical at the Y. My husband thinks I should ease back into running using the elliptical before I hit the roads. He is a wise man. So that's where you will find me at lunchtime today, the Y. 

How was your weekend? 

God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment