So this week's post is a little early because my husband, daughter and I will be traveling. And if I don't do it now it just won't happen.
This week I was asked to pick one thing from Kara Goucher's book Running For Women and focus on it as it pertains to training this week. Any guesses? I'm going with the "Balancing running and life" section because my family has been go go go this month and it will continue into next month.
It's easy to get sidetracked by life and not run and vice versa. I am a runner, but it doesn't consume my life. I enjoy doing it, but not at the expense of my family. This year one of my running goals is to run in five different states. And since my family is doing so much traveling, that is one small goal I have fit into my travel life. So far I have marked off Florida (where I live) and Virginia. This week I will add Kansas and next month I will add Tennessee. That leaves me with just one other and I have met a goal for the year. I feel like this is a small way to work in running into our busy schedule but to not let it overwhelm me by saying I have to run so much while we are there.
I love my running and my running friends but I love my family more. It's important to remember that my life does not revolve around running and Kara helped me remind myself of that. I like the way Kara puts it on page 140 "To be the best runner you can be, you have to do the maximum you can handle. You just need to have other important things in your life as well, such as family, faith, hobbies, and so on." And thankfully I do have other hobbies. Cake decorating being one of them (I will post a new cake next week!).
My training this week is going well. Though I almost got hit by a car this morning. Well in fact, I did sort of. I slammed my hands on her hood when she was about two feet from hitting me. I was in the crosswalk, she was at the stop sign and she did not look at all right before she turned right. She just looked at the traffic coming from the left. And it's not the first time I have had an encounter at the corner, and it was with the same lady! It was just last week so at least I recognized her from last week when I watched her not see me so I didn't step out. This week I thought she saw me but apparently me and my two buddies are invisible. The next time I see her, I think I shall go around behind her car instead of using the cross walk. That way the only way she can hit me is if she goes in reverse.
I hope you all have a great week.
God Bless.
Yikes about the car! I can't believe you almost got hit twice by the same person. Hope she learned her lesson, geez. Love that you've figured out how to balance running, your family, and your hobbies.
ReplyDeleteI saw Kara on Sunday in Portland. She ran the rock n roll 1/2 marathon. :-)
ReplyDeleteBe careful out running, some drivers are crazy. Glad that you are okay.
Glad you are making your family a top priority, but still keeping running part of your life! Running in 5 states is awesome :)
ReplyDeleteI think this quote is so important - and something I definitely need. I get very very consumed by running - part of why I started this training program, but I need to remember to keep things in perspective! Hope your trip went well!
ReplyDeleteMan, scary about the car - I've had that happen to me too where I hit the hood with my hands so I could propel myself OVER the hood and not get hit! I was not a happy camper! Glad you are okay!
ReplyDeleteI appreciated this aspect of Kara's book as well. Learning to balance running with all the other aspects of life are critical to loving it - something I sometimes forget! I also think it's so cool to almost have met your goal - way to go! I love that you are running in different states!
I hope you are having a great trip!
ReplyDeleteThat car thing is scary. It's so easy to be unaware for just a minute and...
I'm so glad you were okay.
And I can't wait to see the cakes!