Thursday, May 31, 2012

Running and Reading Long Week Four

This week for our Running and Reading Long group we were asked to research something that has to do with the sport of running. I'm going to focus on mid-run nutrition.


I found a great article on Runner's World's website: http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-242-301--13917-0,00.html


I usually use energy gels or chews along with water. I have tried the Stinger waffles and they are quite tasty, I just don't like to use them during the run. I'm not one who can eat before I run unless it's something like a gel or the Stinger waffle. Otherwise, I'm sick as a dog during the run. So my general rule of thumb for my runs are: one snack for every five miles unless my run is only five miles and 20oz of water for every nine miles (I know I should probably drink more).


So I ask, what do you like to eat mid run? Drink? Do you go by time? Distance? What's your best advice?


Training this week was lacking due to family a trip to Kansas, but I did at least get a run in there so I can check off another state.


God Bless.

3 comments:

  1. I don't run long enough yet to worry about this (my longest is 7 miles) but I will keep this in mind for when I do run longer, as it's great advice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like Cliff bars or other "real" foods during my runs - I'm not good at all with sports gels or even drinks! They mess with my stomach.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting information! Thanks for sharing! I also don't run enough to get into this yet but it's helpful to know what to expect--and what is helpful to eat!

    ReplyDelete