As I have talked about in past posts mid-run fuel is something I am still trying to perfect. And today was no exception. Today I tried PacificHealth Labs Vanilla Accel Gel. I chose this gel because the half that I am registered for in November said that Accel Gel would be at the mile 8 waterstation. And as most runners know it's best to test things before it comes to race day.
My run started out a little rough, I should have had a snack pre-run but I didn't think about it since I haven't done a long run in a while. And I was running faster than usual (trying to keep up with some fast friends!) but I was still ok, until about mile four. I was suddenly not doing well at all. It could have had something to do with the giant hill at mile four or that my tank was empty. So when I turned onto a less busy street I pulled out my Accel Gel. My first reaction was that I need to dry my hands to get it open, it didn't open very easy, but after that it was all good. The consistency was thinner than any other gel I have tried and it was easy to get down. The flavor was good for vanilla, especially since I usually lean to the citrus-y flavors. And it was easy to squeeze all of the gel out.
At about mile six I felt a sudden burst of energy. I knew my gel had kicked in, and I felt good. The last time I tested a gel on this route this was the time I was feeling sick to my stomach. Thank goodness this time around I was feeling good. The Accel Gel has passed the test in my book. Now I just need to track down some other flavors. My local running store doesn't sell Accel Gel, just Accelerade. And Vitamin Shoppe only carries it in Vanilla and Strawberry (too bad I'm allergic to strawberry in all forms!!). So I'm on a quest to find at least the Citrus Orange flavor and the Key Lime. I don't want to order a case before I have tasted. Does anyone know where I can find them? Can anyone hook me up with a free sample? ;)
Eight miles complete and my only complaint now has to do with tired legs, not an upset stomach that some gels give me. Thank you PacificHealth Labs and Accel Gel, you have a very pleased new customer.
Did you run today?
God Bless.
**I was not compensated for my review. All opinions are my own.**
Glad you found something that works for you! Nice long run!
ReplyDelete