Thursday, July 12, 2012

Running and Reading Long Week 9

This week of Running and Reading Long we read Matt Long's The Long Run.  We were supposed to begin the book. Well, um I finished it. It was such an interesting read that I just couldn't wait to see what happened. Matt had a way of inspiring me to really set my goals and make them happen whether I have roadblocks or not. I have nothing negative to say about this book. It's Matt's true life story about how he went from a firefighter and athlete to a crash victim and back to athlete. It's an amazing read and I have no doubt that I will read it. 


Matt made me look back and think about all the things in my life and the life changing events I have gone through. I have been through so much in the last seven years of my life. I have lost my Dad in a four wheeler accident and my best friend/cousin suddenly to an aneurysm. Those were  devastating times in my life. Through my family and the power of prayer I have done my best to overcome them but I still deal with them on a day to day basis. Just last night I had a dream about my Dad and woke up in a cold sweat thinking he was alive. It's crazy.


But I have been through some physical pains too. My freshman year of college, way back ten years ago I walked on to the track team at Sonoma State University in Rohnert Park CA. I knew that I wasn't a stand out running but I had enough determination that the coach told me that he would give me a shot. I worked my butt off at every practice. I did the best that my body would let me. Then one day I came down wrong on a hurdler, I ran the 100m hurdles. I told the coach. He told me to walk it off and then get back to practice so I did. The next day I complained to him that I was having knee pain and that it felt like I had a cramp in my knee. He told me there was no muscles in my knee to cramp, suck it up and get back to practice. The next day I came out and couldn't run. When the coach asked me why I told him I had no mobility. I couldn't straighten my knee or bend it all the way. So he sent me to the campus doctor. I was immediately referred to a specialist where they decided to put me in a brace until I could have an MRI. The MRI showed that I had torn my meniscus and that it would require surgery. I told coach that and he said I was to report to practice every day and every meet to help keep stats. Talk about a kick in the pants. I couldn't run but I still had to be out there. So, about three months later I had my knee surgery and when they opened my knee up they found it in better shape than they thought. They just had to do clean up. When I emailed my coach about a month later and asked about what I could do to get in shape for the next year he said "You will never be the runner that you were. Don't bother coming back out." I was devastated. But I wasn't going to let that man or anyone else keep me from running. 


Well guess what? I'm still a runner. I'm not a collegiate athlete and I can't truly say that I ever was since I hurt my knee the week before the season started. But I am very much still a runner. And you know what? I can run a mile almost as fast as I could back when I was at SSU. Every day we had to run a mile in under 8 mins. I would kill myself to do it, but I did. Well last month I ran a hard for just one mile. I ran in 7:55 and I truly felt like I could have done better, so next month I will try again. And two weeks ago I stepped back out on the track for the first time since my knee surgery. It was eerie but I ran 1200m with a friend to make our run an even five miles.


I have a goal to run a half marathon this fall and I'm registered for one. This will be my longest race yet but I'm so excited. 


I'm the runner I am because of dedication and perseverance. I love running and I am thankful for the friends I have made that run with me and the husband who sports my running addiction.  


Sidenote: My husband got me all running gear for our anniversary this week. 


I think Matt Long's book really touched my heart because I know on a very small scale what it's like to deal with emotional and physical setbacks. I am truly grateful that I have overcome all the hurdles, on (ok so one tripped me up in a race once) and off the track, and that I press on.


One of my all time favorite Bible verses is "But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary; they will walk and not grow faint." Isaiah 40:31. I say it in my head when I get down on a run and it's even on my RoadId. So if I ever fall over and get hurt on a run some EMT might get curious and look the verse up after she/he helps me.


This week my training had struggled some. And it's my own fault. I was trying to be a good witness to a friend and help her through some struggles that I will not discuss, but I have gotten some runs in. Today was a nasty hot five mile run but I got it done and felt great afterwards.


So I ask you, what "hurdles" have you overcome in your life and running, and how did you overcome them?


God Bless.

4 comments:

  1. Way to go for believing in yourself and for your ambition and positive attitude! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you didn't let that jerk of a coach get you down!! Which half marathon are you doing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan. I am running the American Family Fitness Half Marathon in Richmond VA. super excited.

      Delete
  3. This is such a great post - if we al listened to what people told us we couldn't do, we'd never have accomplished everything we have. Love your determination, motivation, and attitude!

    ReplyDelete