Friday, July 27, 2012

Running and Reading Long Week 11

This week in Running and Reading Long we are focusing on race prep. I don't know about your race prep but when it comes to outfits and such I plan out way far in advance. Back in April I was prepping for my longest race to date, a ten mile trail challenge, and I had my outfit laid out two days ahead of time. See my pics and race recap here


As for food prep, my newest thing that I have found is that my body needs refueling every 50 mins (5miles) or so. I pack and prep accordingly. How do you prep for mid-run refuel? I have recently discovered I like Accel gel and Stinger Organic Energy Chews. For my half marathon in November I plan to pack three gels and one pack of chews so I will have more than enough. Yes, I'm already thinking about this and it's only July. Hydration mid-run I carry my lovely Amphipod 20oz Handheld. I love it. I has a great pocket to hold gels, chews or my keys. I also wear my Amphipod belt for extra food storage. And I'm super impressed with how much it can hold. But, I do put my phone in a plastic bag just so I don't sweat through the belt onto my phone.


Packet pick-up for a race I try and go as soon as I can. I want to have as much time as I need to prep and that includes looking at the map and wandering the expo. Plus, you are more likely to get free stuff while they still have plenty the earlier you go.


My biggest race strategy is sleep. I try to get extra sleep starting three days before the race. Oh and eating food that you know you can handle the next morning on a run. I'm an empty stomach runner. What are you?


What do you do to help prepare for a race? What is the hardest thing you have learned?


God Bless.

4 comments:

  1. Why does my blog show white up there? I didn't do anything different!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the info. It's good to see what others do to prepare--especially since I've not yet had the experience. Good idea to put your phone in a bag. I hadn't thought of that! Great tip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been looking for a hydration method for my long runs that doesn't involve stopping by friends' houses for a drink (my current method). LOL I am going to check out that Amphipod!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my amphipod. They also make a twelve oz one. But I love my twenty oz because then I can fill it up all the way or just half. And I have one with the pocket. It's great for keys or snacks.

      Delete